News and Announcements
April 21, 2015
New Officers: Congratulations to Jennifer Dalglish as our Vice-Chair
and Chair Elect and Dan Cordova as our Member-at-Large. They will be sworn in
and take office at the 2015 AALL Annual Meeting.
Bylaws and Name Change: Our amended bylaws,
including the name change to Government Law Libraries Special Interest Section
passed with 95% of the votes in support of the amendments. The Executive Board
will now present these bylaws to the AALL Executive Board for their
Access to Justice (Webinar 2) now available
April 1, 2015
In February-March, 2015, SCCLL and SLRN collaborated on a series of two webinars on Access to Justice. View the second webinar, "Best Practices for Court, County, and Government Law Libraries," and download material at this link:
Access to Justice Webinar: Best Practices for Court, County, and Government Law Libraries
- Date: Tuesday, March 24, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Eastern
- Panelists: Sara Galligan, Joan Bellistri, and Janine Liebert Moderator: James Durham
- Program Description: As we claim our role in alleviating the justice gap, law librarians provide unique services for self-represented litigants and are critical advocates for essential library services. This webinar is specifically for court, county, and government law librarians who want to learn basic service benchmarks as well as touchstones for evolving services. Whether a practical lesson or best practice for library self help programs, these guiding principles will energize attendees. The program will serve as a catalyst for enhancing services in all public law libraries, no matter how small or large. It will also convince law librarians that they can and must promote law library services among other collaborators in the legal community.
2015 Awards Announced
March 23, 2015
The SCCLL Awards Committee has announced this year's awards:
The Bethany J. Ochal Award for Distinguished Service to the Profession is awarded to a State, Court and County Law Libraries Special Interest Section member(s) who has made a significant contribution to law librarianship and who is nearing the end of his or her library career or who has recently retired.
- Georgia Chadwick, Director, Law Library of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA
- Ann Fessenden, Circuit Librarian, U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit Library, St. Louis, MO
- Sandy Marz, Director, (retired) Washoe County Law Library, Reno, NV
- Laura J.Orr, Law Librarian, Washington County Law Library, Hillsboro, OR
The O. James Werner Award honors a member who has made a significant contribution to either serving directly or arranging for services to be provided to persons with disabilities or for distinctive service by a person with a disability.
- Steven P. Anderson, Director, Maryland State Law Library
The Awards will be presented at the SIS Business Meeting in Philadelphia.
The Committee congratulates all the recipients and thanks those who submitted the nominations.