Planning Timeline for Chapter Presidents and Vice Presidents
All dates are approximate and subject to change.
- Attend and participate in Chapter Leadership Training activities at the Annual Meeting, including incoming and current Chapter Council Chair.
- Council of Chapter Presidents Annual Business Meeting typically held Saturday afternoon before the Conference. Incoming Chapter Presidents and incoming Chapter Vice Presidents should plan to attend.
- Reminder that AALL Executive Board meetings are open to AALL members. The Board typically meets the Thursday and Friday before the Annual Meeting. This is a good opportunity for you to attend, since the fall and spring meetings are held in Chicago.
- Familiarize yourself with the items on AALLNET pertaining to Chapters.
- Verify that your membership profile on AALLNET is current.
- Submit a Chapter Visit Request Form if your Chapter would like an Executive Board member visitor during a Chapter Meeting or Institute at any time during the year.
- Verify that your chapter roster on AALLNET is current.
- Agenda items for the fall AALL Executive Board meeting are due approximately six weeks before the meeting. Please contact the Chapter Council Chair to discuss the submission of an agenda item.
- Chapters are notified about Chapter Liability Insurance.
- Payment for Chapter Liability Insurance is due.
- Annual Meeting Scheduling Forms are sent out and are due by December 1. Specify the room set-ups and AV requirements for any function you wish to schedule on behalf of your Chapter. If your Chapter is not planning to sponsor any activities, simply check the box by "We WILL NOT be holding a function at the Annual Meeting," and return the form by the deadline.
- Check Chapter rosters and send updated information to the Executive Assistant to the Executive Director.
- Chapter Council Chair attends November Executive Board meeting in Chicago.
- Ensure that funding exists for your chapter to send (a) delegate(s) in conjunction with the Chapter VIP Program. Refer to the Chapter VIP Program on AALLNET for sample expenses.
- Annual Meeting Scheduling Forms are due.
- Nominations for the next Council Chair are sought between January 15 and February 15, per the Council bylaws. Chapter Council Chair solicits nominations or self-nominations from current Chapter Presidents.
- Annual Meeting Registration Awards information is sent out. Each year, 10 Chapters receive one free full Annual Meeting registration. The recipient information is due to the Executive Assistant to the Executive Director at Headquarters by April 1. Chapter Council Chair facilitates informing the designated Chapters for the grant and ensuring responses on time.
- Review the Chapter VIP Program on AALLNET and identify possible VIP delegates for your Chapter and extend an invitation.
- Agenda items for the spring AALL Executive Board meeting are due approximately six weeks before the meeting. Please contact the Chapter Council Chair to discuss the submission of an agenda item.
- Annual Meeting Registration Opens on AALLNET.
- Annual Meeting Audio Visual Requirements forms are sent out and are due by April 15.
- Annual Meeting Food and Beverage forms are sent out and are due by May 15.
- Annual Meeting Activity Area Reservation form is sent to Chapter Presidents. If you wish to have a chapter display, use the Activity Area Reservation form. If your Chapter does not plan to have a display, be sure to mark that box on the form and return it by the deadline.
- Information regarding the Chapter VIP Program will be sent out to all Chapter Presidents so the Chapter delegate can receive complimentary registration.
- Election of the next Chair of the Council of Chapter Presidents. Ballots should be distributed no later than March 15. One vote per chapter.
- Chapter Council Chair facilitates the election. Advises candidates of outcome, and then announces next Chapter Council Chair via the Council of Chapter Presidents community and the next Council Chat newsletter.
- Annual Meeting Audio Visual Requirements are due by April 15.
- Information describing the Leadership Training (typically scheduled on the Saturday immediately preceding the Opening Reception) will be sent out. In addition to the Leadership Training, a joint luncheon with SIS Chairs and Chairs-Elect and the Council's Annual Business Meeting are held. All individuals who are Chapter Presidents or Vice Presidents at the time of the Annual Meeting are expected to attend. If neither can attend, please name an alternate, preferably someone in a leadership position for your Chapter such as another Board member or a committee chair. Registration for these activities are usually due back to the Council Chair by the end of May.
- Chapter Registration Award recipient information due to the Executive Assistant of the Executive Directorat Headquarters by April 1.
- Deadline for receipt of the Annual Meeting Activity Area Reservation forms. Be sure to respond, even if your Chapter is not participating.
- Chapter Council Chair attends April AALL Executive Board meeting in Chicago.
- Completed Food and Beverage Order Forms are due by May 15. Final Count due in June.
- Registration forms for Leadership Training and Luncheon are due to the Executive Assistant to the Executive Director.
- Chapter Presidents should complete a Chapter Biography.
- Information regarding Chapter Annual Reports is sent out to Chapter Presidents.
- Schedule escorts for your Chapter VIP(s) at the Annual Meeting and make your VIP aware of events and activities, there.
- Agenda items for the July AALL Executive Board meeting are due approximately six weeks before the meeting. Please contact the Chapter Council Chair to discuss the submission of an agenda item.
- Final counts for food and beverage orders are due by June 1. The figure you report will be what you are charged for.
Chapter Annual Reports
The Chapter Annual Reports consist of brief summaries of each chapter's activities for the past year. These reports are posted on AALLNET and need to be submitted on or before July 1 as an e-mail attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information please visit: Preparing Annual Reports for Publication on AALLNET.
Typically, this report should be written by the outgoing chapter president, because it makes sense for them to summarize the activities which took place under their leadership. Of course, chapter presidents are free to delegate this task to whomever they wish. Current chapter presidents should coordinate with their outgoing president to ensure their chapter's report is submitted in a timely manner.
- AALL Financial Policies Related to Chapters
Financial Long Range Plan 1996-1998
Financial Policies, Section VIII. Entities
- Local Chapters of the Association are separately constituted and are not included in the financial statements. Their decisions and actions are not binding on the Association.
- Use of Publications and Mailing Lists
On July 5, 1986 the Executive Board adopted the following policy:
The use of all association publications, including those published by the Special Interest Sections, for the promotion of candidates for election to the Executive Board, either by reference in an article or by means of paid advertising, is prohibited. Neither shall the membership list of the Association or that Special Interest Sections be sold or given to an individual or group or used by them for the promotion of candidates for election to the Executive Board.
- AALL Conduct of Election Policy