|April 1-2, 2016
2815 Jorie Blvd
Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
The trainers at the Leadership Academy provided valuable advice that had a profound influence on my growth and effectiveness as a leader. Through thoughtful and stimulating dialogue with other fellows, I gained a great deal of insight about how others think and communicate, how I communicate, and how my words and actions are perceived by others. After spending the weekend together, working through issues, learning about ourselves and others, and laughing a lot, I left the Leadership Academy with a strong network of colleagues from across the country with similar interests and goals. I love to see their names come through my inbox as either direct communication with me, or more often as leaders in the organization.
Patrick Butler, Electronic Resources and Reference Librarian, University of Connecticut School of Law Library
Registration Fee: $575
Application Deadline: November 4
Legal information professionals in the early stages of your career—maximize your leadership potential by attending the 2016 AALL Leadership Academy, April 1-2, 2016.
The leadership academy is designed to equip you with essential leadership skills, strategies to handle leadership challenges and tools to build your career as an effective leader. The program will include interactive discussions to explore key leadership concepts and current trends, leadership assessments that target your strengths and preferences, small and large group collaboration, focused development activities and opportunities to network with your colleagues. Maximize your leadership potential and attend the 2016 AALL Leadership Academy.
Who should attend: legal information professionals in the early stages of your career, up to 10 years of experience.
Areas of Focus:
- Leadership models, concepts and myths
- Effective and assertive communication techniques
- Leadership styles and approaches
- Strategies for difficult conversations
- Core leadership values
- Motivational leadership
- Influence and workplace ethics
FACULTY: (see full bio details)
Gail Johnson and Pam Parr, Face to Face Communications and Training
Gail Johnson founded Face to Face Communications and Training in 1997. She is a widely regarded leadership and communications expert and has designed and delivered thousands of workshops throughout the U.S.
Pam Parr joined Face to Face Communications and Training in 2005 bringing more than 30 years of business management and customer service experience.
Sought after speakers on leadership, they have led many programs for library organizations. Their sessions at the American Library Association and Public Library Association have been a draw for more than five years. At the 2015 AALL Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, Gail and Pam facilitated education sessions on leadership, workplace behavior, and motivating staff.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION:
The academy application process is open to current AALL members only. Applications are accepted September 10 – November 4.
(Please be advised that the online web form will time out after a period of inactivity for security reasons. Read important submission information below.)
- Interested applicants should be prepared to clearly articulate interest and describe how academy participation will benefit personal, professional, and organizational goals.View the required information first to gather your thoughts and save in a text editor before submitting your information online. After gathering your content in a text editor, copy and paste it into the application form without heavy formatting and hit submit. All questions are required.
- Applicants should request one professional recommendation (from someone in a supervisory or managerial role). The letter should come from an individual who is familiar with the applicant's leadership or professional work, and should explain why the applicant is a good fit for the academy.
- Applicants are responsible for submitting the recommendation to AALL. Recommendations must be received by 5 p.m. Central Time, Wednesday, November 4, for full consideration. Applicants should submit the recommendation as a PDF file and send to AALL education and meetings assistant, Vanessa Castillo. Selected applicants will have an opportunity to obtain a mentor and receive ongoing leadership development opportunities.
The cost of attendance is $575. The event will run Friday, April 1, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturday, April 2, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Participants are expected to arrive on time and stay for the duration of the sessions. Materials and daily continental breakfast, break, and lunch are included. A dinner on Friday night is also included. Transportation and housing are the responsibility of the participant.
A credit card will be required to hold your reservation but will not be charged until checkout. In the event an attendee must cancel, he or she must do so by contacting the hotel 24 hours prior to arrival (by 3pm the day before) to avoid penalty of one night's room and tax. Check-in time is 3:00 p.m. Checkout time is 12:00 p.m. Please dial 1-888-421-1442 and mention the "AM ASSN LAW LIBRARIES GROUP" or book online. The reservation deadline date is March 3, 2016. Once you receive notification of acceptance, please reserve your room as soon as possible to ensure availability at the discounted rate.
TERMS and CONDITIONS
Payment: Payments will be accepted via check or credit card and are due in full by January 18, 2016. Payment should not be made until the applicant receives notification of acceptance.
Refund Policy: Cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18, 2016. Refunds will be processed less a 15% administration fee. No refunds will be given after January 18, 2016. Refunds will not be given for no-shows.
Cancellation Policy: AALL reserves the right to cancel workshops, programs and events if there is insufficient registration or for any other reason. AALL is not responsible for cancellation charges assessed by airlines or travel agencies, or other losses incurred due to cancellation of workshops, programs and events.
Photos: By attending the AALL Leadership Academy, you agree that AALL, its employees, contractors and volunteers, may photograph, videotape or audiotape you during the event and related activities. Your photo, video, audio, likeness or image may be used by AALL for promotional or related purposes with no remuneration to you.
Meetings and Events Code of Conduct: AALL Leadership Academy attendees are expected to follow the rules outlined in AALL's Meetings and Events Code of Conduct.
Contact Celeste R. Smith, AALL director of education, at email@example.com or 312/205-8032 for more information.