|Please stay tuned for information about the upcoming Leadership Academy scheduled for spring 2014.
October 28-29, 2011
2815 Jorie Blvd
Oak Brook, Illinois 60523
Download the Flyer
Law librarians in the early stages of your career—achieve your leadership potential by attending the 2011 AALL Leadership Academy, October 28-29.
Train for leadership roles by discovering how to maximize your personal leadership style while connecting with other legal information professionals. Designed as an intensive learning experience aimed at growing and developing and leadership skills, the program will include assessments, interactive discussions, small group activities, and mini-presentations.
Key Areas of Focus:
- Learn leadership models, myths, and facts
- Discover your unique strengths
- Acquire effective and assertive communication techniques
- Know how to lead from exactly where you are
- Create the influence you desire
- Build trust and motivate others
- Increase visibility and promote what you do
Read about experiences from the 2009 AALL Leadership Academy.
The academy will feature speakers Gail Johnson and Pam Parr. Johnson is a widely regarded leadership and communications expert and holds a Master of Arts in Communication Studies. Parr has extensive business management and customer service expertise. They have conducted many leadership programs for library organizations. They are sought after presenters and speakers on leadership and customer service. Their sessions at the American Library Association and Public Library Association have been a draw for more than five years.
Application and Selection:
The academy application process is open to AALL members. Applications are accepted April 1-June 30.
- Interested applicants should be prepared to clearly articulate interest and describe how academy participation will benefit personal, professional, and organizational goals.
- Applicants should request two professional recommendations (at least one from someone in a supervisory or managerial role). The letters should come from individuals who are familiar with the applicant's leadership or professional work, and should explain why the applicant is a good fit for the academy.
- Applicants are responsible for submitting all recommendations to AALL. Recommendations must be received by 5 p.m. Central Time, Thursday, June 30, for full consideration. Applicants should request, compile and submit all recommendations into one PDF and send to AALL education and meetings assistant, Vanessa Castillo.
- Selected fellows will have an opportunity to obtain a mentor and receive ongoing leadership development opportunities.
The cost of attendance is $399. Academy materials, continental breakfast, break and lunch each day is included. A dinner on Friday night is also included. Participants are responsible for covering transportation and housing.
This continuing professional education opportunity is sponsored by the American Association of Law Libraries and the AALL/BNA Continuing Education Grant Program. Contact Celeste R. Smith, AALL director of education at email@example.com or 312/205-8032 for more information.