January 1, 2013 - February 28, 2013, members of the American Association of Law Libraries will take a wide range of photographs of law librarians working, meeting, teaching, and doing all that law librarians do in a given day or week. We encourage you to be creative in finding snapshots that capture the essence of law librarianship and are visually attractive. Winners will be recognized on AALLNET, in an issue of AALL Spectrum, and during the 2013 AALL Annual Meeting in Seattle.
January 1, 2013 - February 28, 2013. We suggest that you capture images at all times during this month; be sure to note the time and date for each picture taken. Photos must be submitted by February 28, 2013.
Wherever you work! Wherever law librarians are!
Suggested photographic subjects:
- At the circulation desk
- Working in technical services
- Drinking coffee at a staff meeting
- Assisting a patron in the stacks
- Shelving books
- Teaching legal research class
- Participating in local chapter events
- Law librarians lobbying on our behalf
Try to capture images from your workplace at different times of the day.
Photos will be submitted in the following categories with one winner chosen from each category and one overall winner honored:
- Librarians as Information Evaluators and Managers
- Librarians as Teachers and Trainers
- The Artistry of Librarianship
- Most Humorous
- Best Altered Image/Use of Special Effects
- Government Information Librarians or Libraries (special category this year)
The contest is open to AALL members only. All AALL members are encouraged to take pictures for this project. Professional photographic skills are NOT required.
Enter your photo online to our Flickr Group: www.flickr.com/groups/aalldayinlife2013
Give your photo a title.
In the "Description" section, enter:
- The photo category in which you are submitting the photo
- Your name
- The photographer's name
- A brief description of the photo, including names of individuals photographed, date and time of the photograph, and location
Please email email@example.com or fax 312/205-8021 your photo release form if a person(s) is included in any of your photographs. Entries will not be valid until all signed photo releases are received at AALL Headquarters.
By submitting an entry, applicants grant permission to the American Association of Law Libraries full rights to publish, reproduce, and publicize entries in any paper or electronic publishing formats. The permission includes, but is not limited to, publication by AALL on AALLNET, in any AALL publication, or at AALL meetings and educational programs. You will not be compensated for such use. However, where reasonable, we will give you credit for the photos.
1) Only AALL members may submit entries for the contest. Members of the 2012-2013 AALL Public Relations Committee are not eligible for the contest but may submit photos for other uses by AALL.
2) Entries must be submitted by February 28, 2013. All electronic entries must be submitted online through Flickr by February 28. Paper entries must be postmarked by February 28 and mailed to AALL Headquarters [Mail to: Stacy Schuble, Director of Membership Marketing and Communications, Day in the Life Photo Contest, American Association of Law Libraries, 105 W. Adams Street, Suite 3300, Chicago, IL 60603]. You may download a copy of the Paper Entry Form.
3) Electronic submissions are preferred. Electronic entries must be digital image files of photographs or scans of photographs in JPEG format with a resolution of 300 dots per inch (dpi), a minimum size of 1536 x 2048 pixels, and a maximum file size of 1 MB. When scanning photos, set the scanner at high resolution/print quality/300 dpi. When taking pictures with a digital camera, make sure that the camera is set at high resolution and the largest photo size possible. Electronic entries can be submitted on the Day in the Life Web site or saved on CD-ROM and mailed to AALL Headquarters [Mail to: Stacy Schuble, Marketing and Communications Manager, Day in the Life Photo Contest, American Association of Law Libraries, 105 W. Adams Street, Suite 3300, Chicago, IL 60603]. Members may also submit photographic paper prints (in sizes 4" x 6", 5" x 7", or 8" x 10") in either black and white or color. Paper prints should be mailed to Stacy Schuble. If you have questions about size or file requirements, please contact Stacy (firstname.lastname@example.org or 312/205-8020).
4) Submissions will not be returned. Entries will remain the property of AALL. By submitting an entry, applicants grant permission to the American Association of Law Libraries full rights to publish, reproduce, and publicize entries in any paper or electronic publishing formats. Entries may be scanned, described, displayed, linked, or reproduced on AALLNET, in any AALL publication, or at AALL meetings and educational programs.
5) Each photo must be accompanied by a separate entry form (online or in paper), including a title, brief description of the photo, the names of the individual(s) in the photo, location, date and time, as well as the name, job title, and contact information for the member submitting the photograph and the name of the photographer.
6) Each AALL member may submit up to six photos total. The six entries do not have to be spread among the six categories.
7) All individuals pictured in submitted photographs must sign a photo release. You may download a copy of the Photo Release. Entries will not be valid until all signed photo releases are received at AALL Headquarters by mail or fax (312/205-8021).
8) Winners from the photographic contest will be announced at the 2013 AALL Annual Meeting in Seattle. Judging criteria will be based on composition, quality, subject, lighting, creativity, and the ability to capture of the spirit of law librarianship. The 2012-2013 AALL Public Relations Committee will judge the entries and select the top five winning entries for each of the six categories. These top five entries will be posted on AALLNET for AALL members to choose the final winners. Winners will be recognized on AALLNET, in an issue of AALL Spectrum, and during the 2013 AALL Annual Meeting in Seattle.